March is beautiful in Orlando! But when it comes to visiting Walt Disney World in March, there are definitely a few things to keep in mind. The crowds begin to pick up a bit compared to both January and February, and the weather warms up a bit as well. You will also want to keep in mind that spring break crowds are common, especially towards the end of the month. All that being said, with a little planning March can be a wonderful time to visit the most magical place on earth!
*This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Planning a Disney World vacation in 2023? Be sure to check out our guide to all that the Walt Disney World Resort has to offer this year including the opening of TRON Lightcycle Run Roller Coaster, updated nighttime spectaculars, and more!
- March is a warmer month, but you will still want to wear layers. Mornings and evenings will still be a bit chilly, but afternoons will typically be warmer.
- March is one of the busiest months of the year. With spring breaks happening all across the country, the parks will be busy… especially during the last two weeks of the month.
- Major refurbishments are usually finished up in March, but there may still be a few. Disney tends to schedule their refurbishments during less busy months (such as January or February), but some of these may still be finishing up early in March.
- March 2023 is likely to be busier than usual. Not only is it spring break season, but March 2023 is the final month of Disney’s 50th Anniversary Celebration.
Perhaps the most notable event is the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival. This popular event will take place from March 1 through July 5, 2023. It features beautifully designed interactive gardens as well as a variety of living sculptures shaped like your favorite Disney characters. You will also find plenty of unique food options and family-friendly exhibits. Epcot festivals tend to bring more local crowds on evenings and weekends, so plan on visiting Epcot during the week if crowds are a concern.
The Garden Rocks Concert Series at the America Gardens Theatre in Epcot made its return in 2022 and will likely be a part of the festival in 2023.
ESPN Wide World of Sports typically hosts several athletic events each month. These events don’t usually have a major impact on crowds in the parks, but they can affect resort availability and crowds at Disney’s value resorts. Here are the events scheduled so far as well as events that are typically held in March:
- The Quest – Recreational Cheerleading Championship – March 10-11, 2023
- UCA International All-Star Championship – March 11-12, 2023
- Disney Spring Training – March 12-April 15, 2023
There are no major holidays during the month of March this year. St. Patrick’s Day is Friday, March 17, but this shouldn’t necessarily affect crowds too much.
March Refurbishments & Closures
*We’ve included all current refurbishments here on this list… even ones that may be open in time for March 2023. (Please note that this list could change at a moment’s notice.)
- Walt Disney World Railroad is finally open after nearly 4 years of closure due to Tron construction!
- Pete’s Silly Sideshow reopened on January 15 in Storybook Circus.
- The Little Mermaid meet and greet with Ariel officially returns on January 22, 2023.
- Enchanted Tales with Belle is reopening on February 19, 2023.
- Happily Ever After (an updated version) is returning to Magic Kingdom on April 3, 2023.
- Tron Lightcycle Power Run is opening on April 4, 2023.
- Splash Mountain is closing permanently on January 23, 2023, to become Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. The newly rethemed attraction is scheduled to open in 2024.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is now open!
- Moana: Journey of Water, a brand new attraction, will be opening in 2023.
- Canada Far & Wide in CircleVision 360 is closed through November 2022 (most likely for the Food & Wine Festival)
- The American Adventure is closed from September 19 thru December 16, 2022
- A new nighttime show will be opening at some point in 2023 to replace Harmonious.
- Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away (stage show) has permanently ended
- For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration will be closed January 9-27, 2023
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith will begin a length refurbishment beginning February 20, 2023. It is expected to reopen in the summer of 2023.
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid is temporarily closed with no reopening date yet.
- Jedi Training Academy: Trials of the Temple is also temporarily closed.
- Primeval Whirl is permanently closed
- Kali River Rapids will be closed for refurbishment beginning January 9
- Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon water park will be closed for refurbishment beginning November 13, 2022.
Overall, the weather in Orlando is quite pleasant in March. So if you’re looking to visit Disney World without the extreme heat, this may be the perfect time to go. The average high is 78 degrees and the low is typically around 58 degrees. It is also typically a dryer month in terms of rain. Compared with both January and February, the days are certainly getting a bit longer as well, which will allow more daylight hours in the parks. Layers may be necessary for the morning hours or late evening, but overall March is an excellent time to visit in terms of weather.
March Disney World Crowd Calendar
Crowd calendars are very popular, but they can also be a bit unpredictable. That being said, the pandemic has made predicting crowds even more difficult than normal.
While crowd calendars can be a big help in planning your trip, keep in mind, they are predictions at best. When designing our calendars, we take a look at events, school calendars, ticket prices, park hours, holidays, and typical monthly patterns. But unfortunately, our crowd calendars cannot predict other things such as weather, travel advisories, pandemics, or last-minute openings or closings of shows and attractions.
When it comes to March crowds, earlier in the month is better as many schools throughout the country are on spring break later in the month. In a typical year, spring break is generally one of the most crowded times of the year to visit Disney World! So if crowds are an issue for you, you may want to avoid the second half of the month. Also, it is worth noting that March 2023 is the final month of Disney’s 50th Anniversary Celebration. If planning to visit the parks in March, be prepared for crowds and have a plan!
**For a free printable PDF version of this crowd calendar, be sure to visit our resource page to become an email subscriber! You will also gain access to other printable resources to help you plan your next Disney vacation!
Ready to start planning your visit to Walt Disney World in March?
Here are some resources to help you get started!
Guide to Walt Disney World in 2023
Walt Disney World Resort Guides:
Walt Disney World Dining Guides:
Walt Disney World Attraction Guides:
There’s nothing better than knowing what to expect on your Disney World vacation. Our monthly guides can help you visit with a plan!
March (you are here) | April
Planning your first Walt Disney World vacation? Be sure to visit my step-by-step guide to begin!