When it comes to visiting Disneyland in May, there are definitely a few things to keep in mind. While the weather can be extremely pleasant this time of year, there are several holidays, holiday weekends, and events to be aware of. All that being said, with a little pre-planning May can be a wonderful time to visit the happiest place on earth!
*This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
**The phased reopening of the Disneyland Resort in California is an ongoing process. Be sure to visit our official Disneyland reopening post for updated information to guide your vacation planning! Some experiences listed below have been temporarily suspended or modified due to the pandemic.
- May temperatures are still quite pleasant, but be prepared for some rain showers. Mornings could still be a bit chilly, but for the most part, temperatures are warming up. As far as rain, it is no longer considered the “rainy” season, but that doesn’t mean May won’t see some rain. It’s always good to be prepared this time of year.
- Grad Nites are back for 2022. Tickets are now on sale for Grad Nites in Disney California Adventure Park. While this is a fun opportunity for graduating seniors, the parks can get a bit crowded for the rest of us. So keep this in mind when selecting your vacation dates.
- Be prepared for some crowds. May is a popular month to visit with the locals. The weather is warming up, holidays and holiday weekends get busy, and Grad Nites are a special tradition for many.
- Fantasmic! returns on May 28, 2022. We couldn’t be more excited for the return of this spectacular nighttime show in Disneyland Park!
May the 4th be with you! It’s Star Wars day on May 4th, and Disney joins in on the celebration!
Star Wars fans can also take part this month in Disneyland After Dark: Star Wars Nite. Dates for 2022 include May 3, 4, and 27th. These three separately ticketed after-hours events will feature character experiences, fireworks, photo opportunities, dancing, uniquely themed menu options, live entertainment, Star Wars-themed merchandise, and more! Tickets go fast for this event so get them early!
Holidays in May include both Mother’s Day and Memorial Day. While there are no parties, parades, or special events attached to these holidays, there are definitely a few things to keep in mind if planning to visit the parks on these days. Mother’s Day doesn’t typically see a huge surge in crowds, but you may want to make any special dining reservations early as they do book up quickly. Unlike Mother’s Day, Memorial Day weekend could be significantly busier than normal as most three-day weekends bring crowds to the Disneyland Resort. (It’s also the “unofficial” beginning of summer!)
Perhaps the most exciting event of May 2022 is the return of Fantasmic! on May 28 in Disneyland Park! Nighttime shows are finally making a comeback at the Disneyland Resort with The Main Street Electrical Parade, Disneyland Forever, and World of Color returning on April 22, 2022, as well.
Grad Nites are back for 2022 and will take place on select dates in both May and June. (May dates include May 13, 14, 18, 20, 21, 25, 26, and 31.) There are three ticket options ranging from $89 – $179. Keep in mind that these special events do attract crowds to the parks on these particular dates… especially at Disney Calfornia Adventure.
- Disneyland Grad Nite Private Party Experience at Disney California Adventure ($89 per person) – Ticketed grads will gain access to Disney California Adventure Park after 9:00 PM for an “immersive, once-in-a-lifetime celebration.”
- Disneyland Grad Nite Private Party Experience plus a full day at Disney California Adventure ($119 per person) – Enjoy a full day at Disney California Adventure Park before enjoying an exclusive event after 9:00 PM in the park.
- Disneyland Grad Nite Private Party Experience plus a Park Hopper experience at both Disneyland theme parks ($179 per person) – This option allows grads to spend the day at both Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park on the same day as well as attend the exclusive party at Disney California Adventure Park beginning at 9:00 PM.
May Refurbishments & Closures
*We’ve included all current refurbishments here on this list… even ones that may be open in time for May 2022. (Please note that this list could change at a moment’s notice.)
- Pirates of the Caribbean will be closed from March 14 through early summer 2022.
- Blue Bayou Restaurant will be closed for refurbishment beginning April 21, 2022. (No opening date has been announced.)
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is closed indefinitely.
- Tarzan’s Treehouse is currently closed. (No opening date has been announced.)
- Sailing Ship Columbia is currently closed. (No opening date has been announced.)
- Mickey’s Toontown will be closed from March 9, 2022, through early 2023 for a MAJOR refurbishment and includes the closures of the following attractions:
- Chip ‘n Dale Treehouse
- Donald’s Boat
- Gadget’s Go Coaster
- Goofy’s Playhouse
- Mickey’s House and Meet Mickey
- Minnie’s House
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin
- Disneyland Forever is returning on April 22, 2022!
- The Main Street Electrical Parade is returning on April 22, 2022!
- Fantasmic! is returning on May 28, 2022!
- Temporarily suspended: Star Wars Launch Bay, Magic Happens Parade, Mickey and the Magical Map, Storytelling at Royal Theater, and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique (but the shop is open)
California Adventure Park
- Grizzly River Run will be closed from January 24 through spring 2022.
- Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters will be closed from April 11-14, 2022.
- Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree will close on April 25, 2022, for refurbishment. (No opening date has been announced.)
- World of Color is returning on April 22, 2022!
- Temporarily suspended: Red Car Trolley, The Blue Sky Cellar, and Frozen — Live at the Hyperion
Overall, the weather in Anaheim is still quite pleasant in May. So if you’re looking to visit Disneyland without the summer heat or winter rain, this may be the perfect time to go. The average high is 74 degrees and the low is typically around 54 degrees. It is also typically a dryer month in terms of rain. Overall, May is an excellent time to visit in terms of weather!
May Disneyland Crowds
Crowd calendars are very popular, but they can also be a bit unpredictable. That being said, the pandemic has made predicting crowds even more difficult than normal.
While crowd calendars can be a big help in planning your trip, keep in mind, they are predictions at best. When designing our calendars, we take a look at events, school calendars, ticket prices, park hours, holidays, and typical monthly patterns. But unfortunately, our crowd calendars cannot predict other things such as weather, travel advisories, pandemics, or last-minute openings or closings of shows and attractions.
May can be a popular month to visit the Disneyland Resort. With Star Wars Day on May 4th, Cinco de Mayo on May 5th, Memorial Day Weekend, and Grad Nites… there are certainly days that get very crowded with the locals. So keep these dates in mind if you are trying to avoid the crowds in May.
Ready to Start Planning Your Visit to Disneyland in May?
Here are some resources to help you get started!
Disneyland Dining Guides:
Disneyland Attraction Guides:
Planning your first Disneyland vacation? Be sure to visit my step-by-step guide to get started!