When it comes to visiting Disneyland in May, there are definitely a few things to keep in mind. While the weather can be extremely pleasant this time of year, there are several holidays, holiday weekends, and events to be aware of. All that being said, with a little pre-planning May can be a wonderful time to visit the happiest place on earth!
*This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Planning a Disneyland vacation in 2023? Be sure to check out our guide to all that the Disneyland Resort has to offer this year including the reopening of Mickey’s Toontown, the Disney100 Celebration, and more!
- May temperatures are still quite pleasant, but be prepared for some rain showers. Mornings could still be a bit chilly, but for the most part, temperatures are warming up. As far as rain, it is no longer considered the “rainy” season, but that doesn’t mean May won’t see some rain. It’s always good to be prepared this time of year.
- Grad Nites are back for 2023. While this is a fun opportunity for graduating seniors, the parks can get a bit crowded for the rest of us. So keep this in mind when selecting your vacation dates.
- Be prepared for some crowds. May is a popular month to visit with the locals. The weather is warming up, holidays and holiday weekends get busy, and Grad Nites are a special tradition for many.
May the 4th be with you! It’s Star Wars day on May 4th, and Disney joins in on the celebration!
Holidays in May include both Mother’s Day and Memorial Day. While there are no parties, parades, or special events attached to these holidays, there are definitely a few things to keep in mind if planning to visit the parks on these days. Mother’s Day doesn’t typically see a huge surge in crowds, but you may want to make any special dining reservations early as they do book up quickly. Unlike Mother’s Day, Memorial Day weekend could be significantly busier than normal as most three-day weekends bring crowds to the Disneyland Resort. (It’s also the “unofficial” beginning of summer!)
Grad Nites are back for 2023 and will take place on select dates in both May and June. (May dates include May 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 24, 25, 30, or 31.) There are three ticket options starting at $99. Keep in mind that these special events do attract crowds to the parks on these particular dates… especially at Disney California Adventure.
- Disneyland Grad Nite Private Party Experience at Disney California Adventure – Ticketed grads will gain access to Disney California Adventure Park after 9:00 PM for an “immersive, once-in-a-lifetime celebration.”
- Disneyland Grad Nite Private Party Experience plus a full day at Disney California Adventure – Enjoy a full day at Disney California Adventure Park before enjoying an exclusive event after 9:00 PM in the park.
- Disneyland Grad Nite Private Party Experience plus a Park Hopper experience at both Disneyland theme parks – This option allows grads to spend the day at both Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park on the same day as well as attend the exclusive party at Disney California Adventure Park beginning at 9:00 PM.
Disney100 is taking place all year long in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Walt Disney Company. Festivities include a brand-new World of Color and fireworks show along with the Magic Happens parade.
May Refurbishments & Closures
*We’ve included all current refurbishments here on this list… even ones that may be open in time for May 2023. (Please note that this list could change at a moment’s notice.)
- “it’s a small world” will be closed from January 9-19, 2023 to remove its holiday overlay
- Haunted Mansion will be closing on January 30 to remove its holiday overlay (likely to reopen in mid-February 2023)
- Indiana Jones Adventure will be closed from January 9, 2023, thru spring 2023
- The Disneyland Story presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln will be closed January 9-25, 2023
- Disney Gallery will be closed from January 9, 2023, thru January 25, 2023
- Wondrous Journeys, a new nighttime spectacular, will be debuting on January 27, 2023
- Magic Happens parade will be returning on February 24, 2023
- Tarzan’s Treehouse is currently closed and will be receiving new theming as Adventureland Treehouse (likely to open in 2023)
- Mickey’s Toontown will be closed from March 9, 2022, through March 8, 2023, for a MAJOR refurbishment and includes the closures of the following attractions:
- Chip ‘n Dale Treehouse (permanently closed)
- Donald’s Boat – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Chip ‘n Dale’s GADGETcoaster – Opens March 8, 2023
- Goofy’s Playhouse – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Mickey’s House and Meet Mickey – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Minnie’s House – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway will be opening in Mickey’s Toontown on January 27, 2023
- Splash Mountain will be closing at some point in 2023 for retheming. Tiana’s Bayou Adventure is likely to open in late 2024.
- Temporarily suspended: Star Wars Launch Bay, Mickey and the Magical Map
California Adventure Park
- Grizzly River Run will be closed from January 9 through spring 2023
- Radiator Springs Racers will be closed January 9-23, 2023
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic will close on January 24, 2023. Opening date TBD
- World of Color – One will be debuting on January 27, 2023
- Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind will close on January 30, 2023. Opening date TBD
- Temporarily suspended: Frozen — Live at the Hyperion, Paint the Night Parade
Overall, the weather in Anaheim is still quite pleasant in May. So if you’re looking to visit Disneyland without the summer heat or winter rain, this may be the perfect time to go. The average high is 74 degrees and the low is typically around 54 degrees. It is also typically a dryer month in terms of rain. That being said, May is an excellent time to visit in terms of weather!
May Disneyland Crowds
Crowd calendars are very popular, but they can also be a bit unpredictable. That being said, the pandemic has made predicting crowds even more difficult than normal.
While crowd calendars can be a big help in planning your trip, keep in mind, they are predictions at best. When designing our calendars, we take a look at events, school calendars, ticket prices, park hours, holidays, and typical monthly patterns. But unfortunately, our crowd calendars cannot predict other things such as weather, travel advisories, pandemics, or last-minute openings or closings of shows and attractions.
May can be a popular month to visit the Disneyland Resort. With Star Wars Day on May 4th, Cinco de Mayo on May 5th, Memorial Day Weekend, and Grad Nites… there are certainly days that get very crowded with the locals. So keep these dates in mind if you are trying to avoid the crowds in May.
Ready to Start Planning Your Visit to Disneyland in May?
Here are some resources to help you get started!
Disneyland Dining Guides:
Disneyland Attraction Guides:
Planning your first Disneyland vacation? Be sure to visit my step-by-step guide to get started!