When it comes to visiting Walt Disney World in June, there are definitely a few things to keep in mind. First of all, it will be hot. Now, it won’t be quite as hot and humid as July or August, but the heat definitely comes into play during the month of June. It’s also the beginning of Orlando’s rainy season, so expect some brief afternoon downpours!
That being said, June can be a wonderful time to visit Walt Disney World. There are generally fewer refurbishments and ride closures, the water parks are open longer hours, and you probably won’t have to pull your kids out of school. With a little pre-planning and strategy, visiting Disney World in June may be the perfect time for your family to go!
*This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Planning a Disney World vacation in 2023? Be sure to check out our guide to all that the Walt Disney World Resort has to offer this year including the opening of TRON Lightcycle Run Roller Coaster, updated nighttime spectaculars, and more!
- Don’t forget to pack your sunscreen! Temperatures in June are definitely heating up! The summer sun in Florida can also be a bit intense. And while Disney offers many ways to cool off, you will definitely want to be prepared with sunscreen.
- Mornings are a great time to visit the pools. Due to the hotter temperatures, the pools can get quite busy during the heat of the day as well as in the evenings when guests return from a day in the parks. Consider visiting in the mornings when they will be less busy.
- Major refurbishments are not typically common in June. Disney tends to schedule their refurbishments during less busy months (such as January or February), but that doesn’t mean closures can’t or won’t happen in June.
Perhaps the most notable event is the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival. This popular event will take place from March 1 through July 5, 2023. It features beautifully designed interactive gardens as well as a variety of living sculptures shaped like your favorite Disney characters. You will also find plenty of unique food options and family-friendly exhibits. Epcot festivals tend to bring more local crowds on evenings and weekends, so plan on visiting Epcot during the week if crowds are a concern.
The Garden Rocks Concert Series at the America Gardens Theatre in Epcot made its return in 2022 and will likely be a part of the festival in 2023.
ESPN Wide World of Sports typically hosts several athletic events each month. These events don’t usually have a major impact on crowds in the parks, but they can affect resort availability and crowds at Disney’s value resorts. Here are the events scheduled so far as well as events that are typically held in June:
- 2022 Walt Disney World EGF High School National Championship – TBA (held June 17-19 in 2022)
With no major holidays in the month of June, one might think that the parks are less crowded, but this is simply not the case. Most schools are finishing up during the month of June, which makes it a peak time for Disney World vacations, especially near the end of the month.
June Refurbishments & Closures
*We’ve included all current refurbishments here on this list… even ones that may be open in time for June 2023. (Please note that this list could change at a moment’s notice.)
- Walt Disney World Railroad is finally open after nearly 4 years of closure due to Tron construction!
- Pete’s Silly Sideshow reopened on January 15 in Storybook Circus.
- The Little Mermaid meet and greet with Ariel officially returns on January 22, 2023.
- Enchanted Tales with Belle is reopening on February 19, 2023.
- Happily Ever After (an updated version) is returning to Magic Kingdom on April 3, 2023.
- Tron Lightcycle Power Run is opening on April 4, 2023.
- Splash Mountain is closing permanently on January 23, 2023, to become Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. The newly rethemed attraction is scheduled to open in 2024.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is now open!
- Moana: Journey of Water, a brand new attraction, will be opening in 2023.
- Canada Far & Wide in CircleVision 360 is closed through November 2022 (most likely for the Food & Wine Festival)
- The American Adventure is closed from September 19 thru December 16, 2022
- A new nighttime show will be opening at some point in 2023 to replace Harmonious.
- Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away (stage show) has permanently ended
- For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration will be closed January 9-27, 2023
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith will begin a length refurbishment beginning February 20, 2023. It is expected to reopen in the summer of 2023.
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid is temporarily closed with no reopening date yet.
- Jedi Training Academy: Trials of the Temple is also temporarily closed.
- Primeval Whirl is permanently closed
- Kali River Rapids will be closed for refurbishment beginning January 9
- Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon water park will be closed for refurbishment beginning November 13, 2022.
Overall, the weather in Orlando is quite hot in June. The average high is 90 degrees and the low is typically around 71 degrees. It is also the start of Orlando’s rainy season. That being said, most rain in June will come in short “spurts” rather than be an all-day thing. Brief afternoon downpours are very typical.
June Disney World Crowd Calendar
Crowd calendars are very popular, but they can also be a bit unpredictable. That being said, the pandemic has made predicting crowds even more difficult than normal.
While crowd calendars can be a big help in planning your trip, keep in mind, they are predictions at best. When designing our calendars, we take a look at events, school calendars, ticket prices, park hours, holidays, and typical monthly patterns. But unfortunately, our crowd calendars cannot predict other things such as weather, travel advisories, pandemics, or last-minute openings or closings of shows and attractions.
Most of June is busy, and the crowds only increase as the month goes on and schools release their students for summer break. Of the summer months, June is slightly less hot, but it is also a little more crowded because of it. If planning to travel during the summer to Walt Disney World, it may come down to heat versus crowds. If the crowds don’t bother you, June can be a great time to visit Disney.
**For a free printable PDF version of this crowd calendar, be sure to visit our resource page to become an email subscriber! You will also gain access to other printable resources to help you plan your next Disney vacation!
Ready to start planning your visit to Walt Disney World in June?
Here are some resources to help you get started!
Guide to Walt Disney World in 2023
Walt Disney World Resort Guides:
Walt Disney World Dining:
Walt Disney World Attraction Guides:
There’s nothing better than knowing what to expect on your Disney World vacation. Our monthly guides can help you visit with a plan!
May | June (you are here)
Planning your first Walt Disney World vacation? Be sure to visit my step-by-step guide to help you get started!