When it comes to visiting Disneyland in April, there are definitely a few things to keep in mind. While the weather can be extremely pleasant this time of year, the spring break crowds can be a bit much for some. Easter falls on April 17 this year, making April an even busier time to visit. All that being said, with a little pre-planning April can be a wonderful time to visit the happiest place on earth!
*This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
**The phased reopening of the Disneyland Resort in California is an ongoing process. Be sure to visit our official Disneyland reopening post for updated information to guide your vacation planning! Some experiences listed below have been temporarily suspended or modified due to the pandemic.
- April temperatures are quite pleasant, but be prepared for some rain showers. Mornings could still be a bit chilly, but for the most part, temperatures are warm. As far as rain, it is no longer considered the “rainy” season, but that doesn’t mean April won’t see some rain. It’s always good to be prepared this time of year.
- Easter falls on April 17, 2022, so expect crowds that weekend! Easter is easily one of the busiest times of the year for Disneyland so be prepared for crowds that entire weekend.
- Be prepared for spring break crowds. The first two weeks are usually a bit busier due to spring break with the final two weeks of the month being a great time to visit the parks if you want to avoid major crowds.
Perhaps the most notable event is the Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival. This event will take place from March 4 to April 26, 2022, and features culinary demonstrations, outdoor marketplaces, family entertainment, live music, festival merchandise, and unique bookable experiences. Also featured is the limited-time return of Soarin’ Over California!
April 22, 2022, marks the return of World of Color, the Disneyland Forever fireworks show, and The Main Street Electrical Parade, which will feature a brand new grand finale in honor of its 50th anniversary!
In 2022, Easter falls on April 17. And while there are no special parties or parades, Disneyland does offer some seasonal activities.
The Easter Egg-stravaganza is undoubtedly the highlight activity, and it typically begins two weeks prior to Easter. This egg-themed scavenger game allows guests to purchase a map and sticker set from select locations throughout the Disneyland Resort. Guests then hunt throughout the resort for the corresponding eggs on the map. Maps can be purchased for around $7 at Showcase Plaza in Disneyland Park, Elias and Company in Disney California Adventure Park, and at World of Disney in the Downtown Disney District. And while the three maps differ from one another, the collectible prize is the same. (This means you do not have to enter a park to partake in the fun!)
Dapper Day is scheduled for April 24, 2022! (The Dapper Day Expo will take place April 23-24 at the Disneyland Hotel.)
April Refurbishments & Closures
*We’ve included all current refurbishments here on this list… even ones that may be open in time for April 2022. (Please note that this list could change at a moment’s notice.)
- Pirates of the Caribbean will be closed from March 14 through early summer 2022.
- Blue Bayou Restaurant will be closed for refurbishment beginning April 21, 2022. (No opening date has been announced.)
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is closed indefinitely.
- Tarzan’s Treehouse is currently closed. (No opening date has been announced.)
- Sailing Ship Columbia is currently closed. (No opening date has been announced.)
- Mickey’s Toontown will be closed from March 9, 2022, through early 2023 for a MAJOR refurbishment and includes the closures of the following attractions:
- Chip ‘n Dale Treehouse
- Donald’s Boat
- Gadget’s Go Coaster
- Goofy’s Playhouse
- Mickey’s House and Meet Mickey
- Minnie’s House
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin
- Disneyland Forever is returning on April 22, 2022!
- The Main Street Electrical Parade is returning on April 22, 2022!
- Fantasmic! is returning on May 28, 2022!
- Temporarily suspended: Star Wars Launch Bay, Magic Happens Parade, Mickey and the Magical Map, Storytelling at Royal Theater, and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique (but the shop is open)
California Adventure Park
- Grizzly River Run will be closed from January 24 through spring 2022.
- Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters will be closed from April 11-14, 2022.
- Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree will close on April 25, 2022, for refurbishment. (No opening date has been announced.)
- World of Color is returning on April 22, 2022!
- Temporarily suspended: Red Car Trolley, The Blue Sky Cellar, and Frozen — Live at the Hyperion
Overall, the weather in Anaheim is quite pleasant in April. So if you’re looking to visit Disneyland without the summer heat or winter rain, this may be the perfect time to go. The average high is 71 degrees and the low is typically around 52 degrees. It is also typically a dryer month in terms of rain. Overall, April is an excellent time to visit in terms of weather!
April Disneyland Crowds
Crowd calendars are very popular, but they can also be a bit unpredictable. That being said, the pandemic has made predicting crowds even more difficult than normal.
While crowd calendars can be a big help in planning your trip, keep in mind, they are predictions at best. When designing our calendars, we take a look at events, school calendars, ticket prices, park hours, holidays, and typical monthly patterns. But unfortunately, our crowd calendars cannot predict other things such as weather, travel advisories, pandemics, or last-minute openings or closings of shows and attractions.
During the first two weeks of April, there will definitely be an increase in crowds for spring break as well as the Easter holiday. If crowds are an issue for you, it would be best to avoid these two weeks of the month. The end of the month should see fewer crowds, however, as many schools are finished with their spring breaks at this point.
Ready to Start Planning Your Visit to Disneyland in April?
Here are some resources to help you get started!
Disneyland Dining Guides:
Disneyland Attraction Guides:
Planning your first Disneyland vacation? Be sure to visit my step-by-step guide to get started!