Nice weather and school vacation make the summer an excellent time to visit the Disneyland Resort. The one downside is that Disneyland in August can be quite crowded! Weekdays and weekends will both be busy as school is out for summer vacation across the country. With a bit of planning, however, August can be a great time to visit the parks.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
**The phased reopening of the Disneyland Resort in California is an ongoing process. Be sure to visit our official Disneyland reopening post for updated information to guide your vacation planning! Some experiences listed below have been temporarily suspended or modified due to the pandemic.
- August temperatures are still hot, and the days are longer. Both heat and humidity come into play during this time of year. But the good news is that with the longer days, there will be more daylight hours to enjoy the Disneyland Resort!
- Be prepared for summer crowds. August is a popular month to visit with summer vacation in full swing across the country. Weekdays and weekends alike will most likely be busy during the first half of the month.
- The crowds will lessen as school starts across the country. The second half of August will likely see a decrease in crowds. But be prepared for Disney to adjust their park hours a bit to reflect the change in attendance.
- You may see more locals during the second half of August. Magic Key holders (those with annual passes) will see a decrease in block-out dates as August crowds lessen. If you are a Magic Key holder, this is great news as you will have more opportunities to visit the parks! It could also mean a slight increase in crowds, however, as those with passes will want to take advantage of this time.
Summer is still in full swing during the month of August, and summer break does mean summer crowds. The end of the month may see some weekday crowd relief, however, as school starts back up across the nation.
The good news is that nighttime shows are finally making a comeback at the Disneyland Resort with The Main Street Electrical Parade, Disneyland Forever, and World of Color returning on April 22, and Fantasmic! returning on May 28! So with longer summer hours and the return of nighttime spectaculars, this August could be a fantastic time to visit the Disneyland Resort!
August Refurbishments & Closures
*We’ve included all current refurbishments here on this list… even ones that may be open in time for August 2022. (Please note that this list could change at a moment’s notice.)
- Pirates of the Caribbean will be closed from March 14 through early summer 2022.
- Blue Bayou Restaurant will be closed for refurbishment beginning April 21, 2022. (No opening date has been announced.)
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is closed indefinitely.
- Tarzan’s Treehouse is currently closed. (No opening date has been announced.)
- Sailing Ship Columbia is currently closed. (No opening date has been announced.)
- Mickey’s Toontown will be closed from March 9, 2022, through early 2023 for a MAJOR refurbishment and includes the closures of the following attractions:
- Chip ‘n Dale Treehouse
- Donald’s Boat
- Gadget’s Go Coaster
- Goofy’s Playhouse
- Mickey’s House and Meet Mickey
- Minnie’s House
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin
- Disneyland Forever is returning on April 22, 2022!
- The Main Street Electrical Parade is returning on April 22, 2022!
- Fantasmic! is returning on May 28, 2022!
- Temporarily suspended: Star Wars Launch Bay, Magic Happens Parade, Mickey and the Magical Map, Storytelling at Royal Theater, and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique (but the shop is open)
California Adventure Park
- Grizzly River Run will be closed from January 24 through spring 2022.
- Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters will be closed from April 11-14, 2022.
- Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree will close on April 25, 2022, for refurbishment. (No opening date has been announced.)
- World of Color is returning on April 22, 2022!
- Temporarily suspended: Red Car Trolley, The Blue Sky Cellar, and Frozen — Live at the Hyperion
Overall, Disneyland in August can be quite hot. The average high is 86 degrees and the low is typically around 66 degrees. The heat will feel hotter as well due to the crowds and the concrete throughout the parks. Be prepared to hydrate! That being said, the daytime hours are longer in the summer giving you more daylight to enjoy the parks.
August Disneyland Crowds
Crowd calendars are very popular, but they can also be a bit unpredictable. That being said, the pandemic has made predicting crowds even more difficult than normal.
While crowd calendars can be a big help in planning your trip, keep in mind, that they are predictions at best. When designing our calendars, we take a look at events, school calendars, ticket prices, park hours, holidays, and typical monthly patterns. But unfortunately, our crowd calendars cannot predict other things such as weather, travel advisories, pandemics, or last-minute openings or closings of shows and attractions.
The beginning of August is definitely considered “peak” time at the Disneyland Resort. Many will take advantage of this time at the end of summer to take a vacation prior to school beginning up again for fall. The second half of the month will see fewer crowds as schools start across the country. But keep in mind that Disney will most likely adjust their park hours during this time giving you a bit less time in the parks.
Ready to Start Planning Your Visit to Disneyland in August?
Here are some resources to help you get started!
Disneyland Dining Guides:
Disneyland Attraction Guides:
Planning your first Disneyland vacation? Be sure to visit my step-by-step guide to get started!