Nice weather and school vacation make the summer an excellent time to visit the Disneyland Resort. The one downside is that Disneyland in August can be quite crowded! Weekdays and weekends will both be busy as school is out for summer vacation across the country. With a bit of planning, however, August can be a great time to visit the parks.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Planning a Disneyland vacation in 2023? Be sure to check out our guide to all that the Disneyland Resort has to offer this year including the reopening of Mickey’s Toontown, the Disney100 Celebration, and more!
- August temperatures are still hot, and the days are longer. Both heat and humidity come into play during this time of year. But the good news is that with the longer days, there will be more daylight hours to enjoy the Disneyland Resort!
- Be prepared for summer crowds. August is a popular month to visit with summer vacation in full swing across the country. Weekdays and weekends alike will most likely be busy during the first half of the month.
- The crowds will lessen as school starts across the country. The second half of August will likely see a decrease in crowds. But be prepared for Disney to adjust their park hours a bit to reflect the change in attendance.
- You may see more locals during the second half of August. Magic Key holders (those with annual passes) will see a decrease in block-out dates as August crowds lessen. If you are a Magic Key holder, this is great news as you will have more opportunities to visit the parks! It could also mean a slight increase in crowds, however, as those with passes will want to take advantage of this time.
While there are no formal events scheduled yet for the month of August, summer will still be in full swing… and summer break does mean summer crowds.
The end of the month may see some weekday crowd relief, however, as school starts back up across the nation.
August Refurbishments & Closures
*We’ve included all current refurbishments here on this list… even ones that may be open in time for August 2023. (Please note that this list could change at a moment’s notice.)
- “it’s a small world” will be closed from January 9-19, 2023 to remove its holiday overlay
- Haunted Mansion will be closing on January 30 to remove its holiday overlay (likely to reopen in mid-February 2023)
- Indiana Jones Adventure will be closed from January 9, 2023, thru spring 2023
- The Disneyland Story presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln will be closed January 9-25, 2023
- Disney Gallery will be closed from January 9, 2023, thru January 25, 2023
- Wondrous Journeys, a new nighttime spectacular, will be debuting on January 27, 2023
- Magic Happens parade will be returning on February 24, 2023
- Tarzan’s Treehouse is currently closed and will be receiving new theming as Adventureland Treehouse (likely to open in 2023)
- Mickey’s Toontown will be closed from March 9, 2022, through March 8, 2023, for a MAJOR refurbishment and includes the closures of the following attractions:
- Chip ‘n Dale Treehouse (permanently closed)
- Donald’s Boat – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Chip ‘n Dale’s GADGETcoaster – Opens March 8, 2023
- Goofy’s Playhouse – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Mickey’s House and Meet Mickey – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Minnie’s House – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway will be opening in Mickey’s Toontown on January 27, 2023
- Splash Mountain will be closing at some point in 2023 for retheming. Tiana’s Bayou Adventure is likely to open in late 2024.
- Temporarily suspended: Star Wars Launch Bay, Mickey and the Magical Map
California Adventure Park
- Grizzly River Run will be closed from January 9 through spring 2023
- Radiator Springs Racers will be closed January 9-23, 2023
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic will close on January 24, 2023. Opening date TBD
- World of Color – One will be debuting on January 27, 2023
- Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind will close on January 30, 2023. Opening date TBD
- Temporarily suspended: Frozen — Live at the Hyperion, Paint the Night Parade
Overall, Disneyland in August can be quite hot. The average high is 86 degrees and the low is typically around 66 degrees. The heat will feel hotter as well due to the crowds and the concrete throughout the parks. Be prepared to hydrate! That being said, the daytime hours are longer in the summer giving you more daylight to enjoy the parks.
August Disneyland Crowds
Crowd calendars are very popular, but they can also be a bit unpredictable. That being said, the pandemic has made predicting crowds even more difficult than normal.
While crowd calendars can be a big help in planning your trip, keep in mind, that they are predictions at best. When designing our calendars, we take a look at events, school calendars, ticket prices, park hours, holidays, and typical monthly patterns. But unfortunately, our crowd calendars cannot predict other things such as weather, travel advisories, pandemics, or last-minute openings or closings of shows and attractions.
The beginning of August is definitely considered a “peak” time at the Disneyland Resort. Many will take advantage of this time at the end of summer to take a vacation prior to school beginning again for fall. The second half of the month will see fewer crowds as schools start across the country. But keep in mind that Disney will most likely adjust their park hours during this time giving you a bit less time in the parks.
Ready to Start Planning Your Visit to Disneyland in August?
Here are some resources to help you get started!
Disneyland Dining Guides:
Disneyland Attraction Guides:
Planning your first Disneyland vacation? Be sure to visit my step-by-step guide to get started!