Cooler temperatures, Halloween festivities, and fall breaks make Disneyland in October a very popular time to visit for vacationers and locals alike. In fact, this month often rivals December in terms of popularity and crowds. That being said, the Disneyland Resort goes all out for Halloween with attraction overlays, festive decor, themed dining, ticketed events, and more!
*This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Planning a Disneyland vacation in 2023? Be sure to check out our guide to all that the Disneyland Resort has to offer this year including the reopening of Mickey’s Toontown, the Disney100 Celebration, and more!
- Halloween begins in early September at the Disneyland Resort and will continue through October 31st. The Disneyland Resort goes all out for this holiday making the parks quite busy. But if you love Halloween, you will love all that Disney has to offer parkgoers during this season.
- October will bring with it cooler fall temperatures. It will still be warm, but it definitely won’t feel as hot as in the summer months. Layers will be important as you plan your days in the parks, especially if staying in the evening for Halloween events and festivities.
- Halloween crowds often rival Christmas crowds. Disney is known for being busy during the holiday season in December, so many are surprised to find that October can be similarly busy. Halloween is very popular, and week-long fall breaks from school make it a great time for many to visit the parks.
Halloween typically arrives in September throughout the Disneyland Resort. In 2022, it began on September 2nd and lasted through October 31st. The entire Disneyland Resort was transformed as Disney provided families with a “not-so-scary” Halloween season to enjoy together. Complete with special attraction overlays, Halloween decor, specialty dining, and more… the popular festivities will likely be back in 2023!
While we don’t have all the details yet for 2023, last year gave us the Oogie Boogie Bash at Disney’s California Adventure Park. This ticketed event for families was quite popular and ran on select nights from September 6 – October 31.
October Refurbishments & Closures
*We’ve included all current refurbishments here on this list… even ones that may be open in time for October 2023. (Please note that this list could change at a moment’s notice.)
- “it’s a small world” will be closed from January 9-19, 2023 to remove its holiday overlay
- Haunted Mansion will be closing on January 30 to remove its holiday overlay (likely to reopen in mid-February 2023)
- Indiana Jones Adventure will be closed from January 9, 2023, thru spring 2023
- The Disneyland Story presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln will be closed January 9-25, 2023
- Disney Gallery will be closed from January 9, 2023, thru January 25, 2023
- Wondrous Journeys, a new nighttime spectacular, will be debuting on January 27, 2023
- Magic Happens parade will be returning on February 24, 2023
- Tarzan’s Treehouse is currently closed and will be receiving new theming as Adventureland Treehouse (likely to open in 2023)
- Mickey’s Toontown will be closed from March 9, 2022, through March 8, 2023, for a MAJOR refurbishment and includes the closures of the following attractions:
- Chip ‘n Dale Treehouse (permanently closed)
- Donald’s Boat – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Chip ‘n Dale’s GADGETcoaster – Opens March 8, 2023
- Goofy’s Playhouse – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Mickey’s House and Meet Mickey – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Minnie’s House – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway will be opening in Mickey’s Toontown on January 27, 2023
- Splash Mountain will be closing at some point in 2023 for retheming. Tiana’s Bayou Adventure is likely to open in late 2024.
- Temporarily suspended: Star Wars Launch Bay, Mickey and the Magical Map
California Adventure Park
- Grizzly River Run will be closed from January 9 through spring 2023
- Radiator Springs Racers will be closed January 9-23, 2023
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic will close on January 24, 2023. Opening date TBD
- World of Color – One will be debuting on January 27, 2023
- Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind will close on January 30, 2023. Opening date TBD
- Temporarily suspended: Frozen — Live at the Hyperion, Paint the Night Parade
Overall, Disneyland in October will see cooler temperatures. The average high is 76 degrees and the low is typically around 63 degrees. Layers will be important as you plan your days in the parks, especially if staying in the evening for Halloween events and festivities.
October Disneyland Crowds
Crowd calendars are very popular, but they can also be a bit unpredictable. That being said, the pandemic has made predicting crowds even more difficult than normal.
While crowd calendars can be a big help in planning your trip, keep in mind, that they are predictions at best. When designing our calendars, we take a look at events, school calendars, ticket prices, park hours, holidays, and typical monthly patterns. But unfortunately, our crowd calendars cannot predict other things such as weather, travel advisories, pandemics, or last-minute openings or closings of shows and attractions.
Many are surprised to discover that October can be very busy. Halloween in Disneyland is very popular. Also, many schools in California, Utah, and Nevada have week-long fall breaks spread out throughout the month. That being said, prepare for holiday crowds as you enjoy the Halloween festivities!
Ready to Start Planning Your Visit to Disneyland in October?
Here are some resources to help you get started!
Disneyland Dining Guides:
Disneyland Attraction Guides:
Planning your first Disneyland vacation? Be sure to visit my step-by-step guide to get started!