Halloween in Disneyland is back for 2023! The entire Disneyland Resort will be transformed as Disney provides families with a not-so-scary Halloween season to enjoy together. To top it all off, the Oogie Boogie Bash is back this season at Disney’s California Adventure Park! This ticketed event for families is quite popular and will run on select nights in the fall of 2023.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Planning a Disneyland vacation in 2023? Be sure to check out our guide to all that the Disneyland Resort has to offer this year including the reopening of Mickey’s Toontown, the Disney100 Celebration, and more!
Dates and Highlights
- This year’s Halloween festivities at the Disneyland Resort will be held September 1 through October 31.
- The Oogie Boogie Bash at Disney’s California Adventure will be held on 25 select nights from September 5 through October 31. General admission tickets go on sale June 29, 2023.
Halloween in Disneyland Park
- The “Main Street Pumpkin Festival” returns to Main Street, U.S.A., which includes a giant Mickey Mouse jack-o-lantern and other carved pumpkins.
- Disney characters will be seen in their Halloween costumes including Mickey, Minnie, Jack Skellington, and Sally.
- The Haunted Mansion will be transformed in the Haunted Mansion Holiday with a Nightmare Before Christmas overlay.
- Weekend nights will include fireworks.
- A supernatural projection and special effects show will run each evening called “Halloween Screams.” This show also features fireworks and will occur at several different locations throughout the park, including Main Street, U.S.A., Sleeping Beauty Castle, and in front of “it’s a small world.”
Halloween in California Adventure Park
Disney’s California Adventure Park will be the home of the Oogie Boogie Bash, but it will also provide a lot of family Halloween fun for those who don’t choose to take part in the ticketed event.
- Every Halloween, Cars Land transforms into Radiator “Screams,” and this year will be no different. The makeover will include decorations and attraction transformations. Guests will be able to enjoy Mater’s Graveyard JamBOOree and Luigi’s Honkin’ Haul-O-Ween.
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! will also see a transformation for the Halloween season. At night only, it will become “Guardians of the Galaxy – Monsters After Dark.”
- Buena Vista Street will be decorated with special decor including a 10-foot-tall statue of the Headless Horseman and clouds of black bats swarming Carthay Circle Theatre’s bell tower.
- Mickey and his friends can also be spotted along Buena Vista Street in their Halloween costumes.
Día de los Muertos
Frontierland in Disneyland Park will be hosting a special tribute to Día de los Muertos. El Zócalo Park will feature iconic skeleton figurines as well as brightly colored flowers and decor items seen in traditional ofrendas on the Day of the Dead. Enjoy the decor as you dine at nearby Rancho del Zócalo Restaurante.
Plaza de la Familia
This special event inspired by Dia de los Muertos will return to Paradise Gardens this fall. It will feature live entertainment, festive foods, crafts, and interactive activities. A street show titled “A Musical Celebration of Coco” will feature Mariachi music at Paradise Gardens Bandstand several times a day. Also included in the festivities: a photo opportunity with a hand-animated figure of Miguel, the Arbol de la Vida (Tree of Life), and an art exhibit called “The World of Coco.”
Halloween in Downtown Disney
Downtown Disney will be decorated for the season and take part in the Halloween fun. Seasonal treats will be offered, and guests can once again take part in Pluto’s Pumpkin Pursuit.
In 2022, this family-friendly pumpkin scavenger hunt was available to guests from September 9 through October 31 for $9.99 plus tax at select merchandise locations. (Dates and prices have yet to be announced for 2023.) Whether you choose to hunt for pumpkins or not, you can return your game board to a redemption location for a prize.
The scavenger hunt can be purchased at the following locations:
- Acorns Gifts & Goods (Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa)
- Disney Home
- Disney’s Fantasia Shop (Disneyland Hotel)
- Disney’s Pin Traders
- small world Gifts & Sundries (Disneyland Hotel)
- The Disney Dress Shop
- Wonderground Gallery
- World of Disney
You can return your game board to redeem your prize at the following locations:
- Disney’s Pin Traders
- World of Disney
Last year, there was a limit of 5 game board purchases per guest, and game boards were valid for redemption through November 6, 2022, or while surprise supplies lasted.
Oogie Boogie Bash in California Adventure Park
This year, Oogie Boogie Bash, Disney California Adventure’s Halloween after-hours party, will be held on 25 select nights. This will be a separate, ticketed event that will take place after the park closes. Parties will begin at 6:00 PM and run until 11:00 PM, and ticket holders will be allowed entrance into the park as early as 3:00 PM. No theme park reservation is required for ticket holders entering the park after 3:00 PM!
Ticket prices will range from $134 to $189. The event dates for 2023 are:
September: 5, 7, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 24, 26, 28
October: 1, 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 22, 24, 26, 29, 31
Tickets go on sale on June 27 (no earlier than 9:00 AM Pacific Time), and Magic Key holders have the option to purchase from a select amount of pre-sale tickets ahead of the general public. *General admission tickets go on sale June 29, 2023.
Festivities will include:
- Early Entry to Disney California Adventure Park – While the party starts at 6 pm and runs until 11 pm, guests will be given access to the park at 3 pm to enjoy and explore before the party.
- Immersive Treat Trails – Collect treats along trails featuring Halloween-inspired music and decor. (You may also spot some Disney Villains along the way!)
- Character Sightings – Some of your favorite Disney characters will be out in their Halloween costumes.
- Halloween Decor – Enjoy family-friendly Halloween decorations, lighting, music, and special effects. (Even Carthay Circle will be transformed!)
- Frightfully Fun Parade – This masquerade cavalcade will feature Mickey, Minnie, and some of your favorite Disney Villains.
- Mickey’s Trick & Treat – This live show will feature Mickey and his friends as they share some not-so-scary Halloween stories.
- Villains Grove – Redwood Creek Challenge Trail will be transformed allowing guests to explore the world of Ursula, Scar, and other Disney Villains.
- Photo Ops – As always, Disney will be providing many photo opportunities for guests with PhotoPass photographers. Digital photo downloads will be included in the price of your event ticket.
Be sure to visit Disneyland’s official website for more information!
We hoped you enjoyed our guide to Halloween in Disneyland! If you’re looking to plan your next Walt Disney World vacation, be sure to visit my step-by-step guide to get started!