Spring break, warmer temperatures, the Food and Wine Festival, and the completion of some major refurbishments will make Disneyland in March 2023 a popular time to visit. While it will certainly be more crowded, especially the final two weeks of the month due to Spring Breaks, the reopening of Toontown on March 8, 2023, will undoubtedly make braving the crowds worth it for most!
*This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Planning a Disneyland vacation in 2023? Be sure to check out our guide to all that the Disneyland Resort has to offer this year including the reopening of Mickey’s Toontown, the Disney100 Celebration, and more!
- Crowds begin to pick up in March as Spring Break season begins. Spring Break is a very popular time for vacationers and locals alike to visit the Disneyland Resort. Be prepared for crowds!
- Refurbishments aren’t common this time of year. One upside to the parks seeing an increase in Spring Break crowds is that Disney makes an effort to make sure attractions are open to accommodate guests.
- The Food and Wine Festival returns to Disney’s California Adventure. This event is a local favorite, and it will bring some local crowds into the park.
- Disney100 will be kicking off on January 27, 2023, and lasts all year. This celebration includes the opening of Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, as well as the debut of brand new nighttime spectaculars and the return of the Magic Happens parade.
Perhaps the most notable event is the Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival. This event will take place from March 3 to April 25, 2023, and features culinary demonstrations, outdoor marketplaces, family entertainment, live music, festival merchandise, and unique bookable experiences. Also featured is the limited-time return of Soarin’ Over California!
Disneyland’s Toontown reopens on March 8th! This long-anticipated event will certainly be a crowd favorite as this area of the park will have been closed for nearly a year for updates.
Disney100 is taking place all year long in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Walt Disney Company. Kicking off on January 27, festivities include a brand-new World of Color and fireworks show along with the Magic Happens parade.
Disney After Dark: Princess Nite is a ticketed event that will take place on March 7th and 9th. Festivities begin with a 3-hour pre-party mix-in from 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM at Disneyland Park, followed by a private party from 9:00 PM to 1:00 AM. Parties will feature your favorite Disney characters, one-of-a-kind photo opportunities, special foods and drinks, and collectible merchandise. Select attractions will also be open after hours for the party!
March Refurbishments & Closures
*We’ve included all current refurbishments here on this list… even ones that may be open in time for March 2023. (Please note that this list could change at a moment’s notice.)
- “it’s a small world” will be closed from January 9-19, 2023 to remove its holiday overlay
- Haunted Mansion will be closing on January 30 to remove its holiday overlay (likely to reopen in mid-February 2023)
- Indiana Jones Adventure will be closed from January 9, 2023, thru spring 2023
- The Disneyland Story presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln will be closed January 9-25, 2023
- Disney Gallery will be closed from January 9, 2023, thru January 25, 2023
- Wondrous Journeys, a new nighttime spectacular, will be debuting on January 27, 2023
- Magic Happens parade will be returning on February 24, 2023
- Tarzan’s Treehouse is currently closed and will be receiving new theming as Adventureland Treehouse (likely to open in 2023)
- Mickey’s Toontown will be closed from March 9, 2022, through March 8, 2023, for a MAJOR refurbishment and includes the closures of the following attractions:
- Chip ‘n Dale Treehouse (permanently closed)
- Donald’s Boat – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Chip ‘n Dale’s GADGETcoaster – Opens March 8, 2023
- Goofy’s Playhouse – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Mickey’s House and Meet Mickey – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Minnie’s House – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin – Reopens March 8, 2023
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway will be opening in Mickey’s Toontown on January 27, 2023
- Splash Mountain will be closing at some point in 2023 for retheming. Tiana’s Bayou Adventure is likely to open in late 2024.
- Temporarily suspended: Star Wars Launch Bay, Mickey and the Magical Map
California Adventure Park
- Grizzly River Run will be closed from January 9 through spring 2023
- Radiator Springs Racers will be closed January 9-23, 2023
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic will close on January 24, 2023. Opening date TBD
- World of Color – One will be debuting on January 27, 2023
- Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind will close on January 30, 2023. Opening date TBD
- Temporarily suspended: Frozen — Live at the Hyperion, Paint the Night Parade
Overall, Disneyland in March can be a bit unpredictable. Temperatures will be a bit cooler, and rain is definitely possible. Of course, it isn’t quite as rainy and cool as during the winter months. The average high is 72 degrees and the low is typically around 50 degrees. Be sure to check the weather before your vacation, and be prepared for variable springtime weather.
March Disneyland Crowds
Crowd calendars are very popular, but they can also be a bit unpredictable. That being said, the pandemic has made predicting crowds even more difficult than normal.
While crowd calendars can be a big help in planning your trip, keep in mind, that they are predictions at best. When designing our calendars, we take a look at events, school calendars, ticket prices, park hours, holidays, and typical monthly patterns. But unfortunately, our crowd calendars cannot predict other things such as weather, travel advisories, pandemics, or last-minute openings or closings of shows and attractions.
March will be busy. With Toontown reopening on March 8th, the Food and Wine Festival (which is popular with the locals), and spring break season… there will no doubt be crowds this March. Planning ahead will certainly help, and purchasing Genie+ may be something you will want to look into. But if you’re willing to brave the crowds, it will be an exciting time to visit as there will be so much to do and see!
Ready to Start Planning Your Visit to Disneyland in March?
Here are some resources to help you get started!
Disneyland Dining Guides:
Disneyland Attraction Guides:
Planning your first Disneyland vacation? Be sure to visit my step-by-step guide to get started!