What’s coming to the Disneyland Resort in 2022 and beyond? If there’s one thing we know about Disney parks, it’s that they are never complete. And honestly… I think that’s part of the appeal. Every time I visit with my family, there is something new to experience or see. With its 50th anniversary coming up, Walt Disney World is getting a lot of well-deserved special attention when it comes to new rides and entertainment. But there are also a lot of exciting things in store for Disneyland in the coming year! Here is everything coming to the Disneyland Resort in 2022.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
**The Disneyland Resort officially reopened to the public on April 30, 2021. Be sure to visit our official Disneyland reopening post for updated information to guide your vacation planning! Some experiences listed below have been temporarily suspended or modified due to the pandemic.
Here is everything coming to the Disneyland Resort in 2022 and beyond:
Now Open! – Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
This epic attraction incorporates four different ride experiences – trackless vehicles, a motion simulator, walk-through environments, and even a small drop. It has been announced that it will use a virtual queue, much like the one being utilized in Walt Disney World.
Now Open! – Snow White’s Enchanted Wish
This classic Fantasyland dark ride was known for being quite… dark. But it has now received a significant makeover! Snow White’s Scary Adventures underwent a major refurbishment just before Disneyland closed last spring, and it reopened with a new name and an enhanced storyline on April 30, 2021.
Now Open as of April 22, 2022! – Main Street Electrical Parade
One of the most popular Disney of all time, its return was hinted at earlier this year when Disney Parks displayed one of the floats in a TikTok video. This nostalgic parade will feature brand new elements as it will be celebrating its 50th anniversary.
Now Open as of May 28, 2022! – Fantasmic!
This nighttime spectacular will be returning to Disneyland Park on May 28, 2022, and we couldn’t be more excited!
November 2022 – Mandalorian and Grogu
Beginning mid-November, guests will have the opportunity to meet these characters at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in Disneyland Park.
Early 2023 – Mickey’s Toontown Reimagining and Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
Perhaps the biggest news concerning Disneyland Park is the reimagining of Mickey’s Toontown as well as the grand opening of Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway! Mickey’s Toontown will close in March of 2022 to begin the reimagining process.
- CenTOONial Park – This new area will be the first space guests encounter when they enter Mickey’s Toontown, and it will be a natural space “anchored by two interactive play experiences.” It will feature a fountain (designed for play) and water tables for some additional fun. The fountain will also transform at night into a “unique spectacle.” Nearby, there will be a “dreaming tree” inspired by the tree Walt Disney would daydream under as a child. The sculpted tree roots will also provide children with an opportunity for play.
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway – Much like the ride already open in Hollywood Studios, guests will be able to join Minnie and Mickey for a picnic in the park only for everything to suddenly go wrong! This trackless ride will take you through multiple scenes featuring all of your favorite Disney characters.
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin – There is no official news yet as to the status of this attraction, but Disney did say back in September 2021 that it will feature a new backstory focused on Jessica Rabbit “in the future.” It is unclear when this reimagining will take place, but we will keep you posted on further developments as Disney makes announcements!
Late 2024 – Splash Mountain
It was announced some time ago that this attraction would be reimagined, but it was just announced that this rethemed water flume ride will open in late 2024! Called “Tiana’s Bayou Adventure,” this iconic ride will be welcoming Tiana and her friends for a brand new Princess and the Frog theme. It is unknown when the ride will be closing for the refurbishment, but more details should be announced soon.
Now Open! – Avengers Campus
This is no doubt one of the most ambitious projects coming to the Disneyland Resort in 2021. It was originally planned to be open in the summer of 2020, but with the pandemic, it was delayed. This new area will feature a brand new Spider-Man attraction, meet and greets with your favorite Marvel superheroes, unique shopping experiences, and the Pym Test Kitchen – a new restaurant inspired by the movie Ant-Man. (Be sure to visit the Disney Parks Blog for more information!) The land will also be opening in phases, starting with the Worldwide Engineering Brigade (WEB) and the Pym Test Kitchen.
- WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure – This immersive, interactive attraction is coming to the new land on the opening day of the Avengers Campus. The Marvel story is expanding with WEB, an attraction-based organization founded by none other than Tony Stark. (Fun fact: This will be the first Disney ride to feature Spider-Man!) This attraction will allow you to sling webs in order to help trap Peter Parker’s Spider-Bots. This ride will have no height requirement and will be appropriate for all ages. (Yay!)
- Pym Test Kitchen – Also opening with the Avengers Campus on June 4 is the Pym Test Kitchen. If you’re unfamiliar with how Ant-Man and The Wasp can use subatomic “Pym Particles” to alter their size and mass grow or shrink, you’re in for quite a treat! This quick-service restaurant will feature massive meals, tiny treats, and shareable bites.
- The Sanctum – Here you will have the opportunity to learn from Doctor Strange about an ancient battle that threatened to tear a hole in the fabric of time and reality and how that battle led to the creation of the Orb of Cagliostro. You’ll want to visit at night when the Orb is known to be especially active.
- WEB Suppliers – Here you have the chance to purchase your very own Spider-Bot robot sidekick along with at-home kits to build webs and other accessories. You will also be able to get your hands on Avengers souvenirs at this shop!
- Avengers Headquarters – The iconic Avengers Headquarters building will open when the land opens on June 4, 2021, but it will eventually house a brand new “E-Ticket” attraction! (This ride will be opening at a later date.)
April 22, 2022 – World of Color
This nighttime spectacular will be returning to California Adventure on April 22, 2022!
Coming Soon – Avengers Campus Expansion
- A brand new attraction is coming to Avengers Campus! This new ride will feature a multiverse version of Thanos where he is known as “King Thanos.” In this version, fans will be to team up with Avengers to fight him and other villains in a world where Thanos won rather than lost as he did in the Marvel films.
- The Incredible Hulk will also be debuting in his Quantum Suit at Avengers Campus for a limited time beginning mid-September 2022.
Coming Soon – Pacific Wharf Reimagined
The Pacific Wharf area of California Adventure will be reimaged as “San Fransokyo” from the Disney film Big Hero 6. Guests will have the opportunity to meet Baymax, and the area will include new locations to dine and shop.
Beyond the Parks
Downtown Disney District
Work will begin in January 2022 to reimagine Downtown Disney to include an even broader collection of shopping, dining, and entertainment. This means that the AMC Theater, Earl of Sandwich, Sugarboo, and Starbucks West End coffee shop will close and will also be demolished as a result. More than a dozen new and reimagined locations will open, including Porto’s Bakery & Café. More details to come…
The next-generation MagicBand+ wearable technology and “Hey, Disney!” voice assistant will arrive at Disneyland in 2022. (These were previously announced in September 2021 for Walt Disney World!)
These popular races will return to the Disneyland resort in 2024 for the first time since 2017.
This multi-year project with the city of Anaheim, CA includes plans for theme park expansions, new shopping and dining options, and parking.
Disney 100 Years of Wonder
In what is being called “the biggest celebration in the history of the company,” all of the Disney parks around the world will feature new decor, specialty food and drinks, character experiences, and more. The Disneyland Resort will be the heart of the celebration, however.
- World of Color – One will kick off in late January at Disney California Adventure and will celebrate the storytelling legacy Walt Disney began.
- Wondrous Journeys will also debut in late January at Disneyland Park. This brand new fireworks show will feature nods to all 60 Walt Disney Animation Studios films to date.
- The Magic Happens parade will also be returning to the resort this spring.
Be sure to check back regarding new rides and attractions coming to the Disneyland Resort as this page will be updated often!
**Looking to plan your first Disneyland Resort vacation? Be sure to visit my step-by-step guide to get started!