What’s coming to the Disneyland Resort in 2023 and beyond? If there’s one thing we know about Disney parks, it’s that they are never complete. And honestly… I think that’s part of the appeal. Every time I visit with my family, there is something new to experience or see. And even though Walt Disney World is getting a lot of well-deserved attention these days when it comes to new rides and entertainment, there are also a lot of exciting things in store for Disneyland in the coming year! Here is everything coming to the Disneyland Resort in 2023.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Planning a Disneyland vacation in 2023? Be sure to check out our guide to all that the Disneyland Resort has to offer this year including the reopening of Mickey’s Toontown, the Disney100 Celebration, and more!
Here is everything coming to the Disneyland Resort in 2023 and beyond:
January 2023 – Disney100 Celebration
In what is being called “the biggest celebration in the history of the company,” all of the Disney parks around the world will feature new decor, specialty food and drinks, character experiences, and more. The Disneyland Resort will be the heart of the celebration, however.
Late January – Wondrous Journeys
This new nighttime spectacular will light up the sky as it “features nods to all 60 Walt Disney Animation Studios films to date, taking viewers on a journey filled with artistry, music, storytelling, and heart. “
January 27, 2023 – Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
Much like the ride already open in Hollywood Studios, guests will be able to join Minnie and Mickey for a picnic in the park only for everything to suddenly go wrong! This trackless ride will take you through multiple scenes featuring all of your favorite Disney characters.
Early 2023 – Disney After Dark
These limited-time after-park hour events will be returning in 2023! Themes include Sweethearts’ Nite as well as the all-new Princess Nite. Festivities begin with a 3-hour pre-party mix-in from 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM at Disneyland Park, followed by a private party from 9:00 PM to 1:00 AM. Parties will feature your favorite Disney characters, one-of-a-kind photo opportunities, special foods and drinks, and collectible merchandise. Select attractions will also be open after hours for the party!
- Sweethearts’ Nite (January 31, February 2, 5, 7, 9, 14, and 16, 2023) – This event will feature 6:00 PM admission to Disneyland Park, fireworks, a royal ball, a moonlight cruise on the Mark Twain Riverboat, character experiences, photo opportunities, unique dining experiences, access to select attractions, commemorative keepsakes, and more!
- Princess Nite (March 7 and 9, 2023) – This event will feature 6:00 PM admission to Disneyland Park, a Princess Nite concert, a DJ dance party, character experiences, photo opportunities, unique dining experiences, access to select attractions, commemorative keepsakes, and more!
March 8, 2023 – Mickey’s Toontown Reopens!
Perhaps the biggest news concerning Disneyland Park is the reimagining of Mickey’s Toontown. This area of the park closed in March 2022 to begin the reimagining process.
- CenTOONial Park – This new area will be the first space guests encounter when they enter Mickey’s Toontown, and it will be a natural space “anchored by two interactive play experiences.” It will feature a fountain (designed for play) and water tables for some additional fun. The fountain will also transform at night into a “unique spectacle.” Nearby, there will be a “dreaming tree” inspired by the tree Walt Disney would daydream under as a child. The sculpted tree roots will also provide children with an opportunity for play.
- Goofy’s How-To-Play Yard – This space will incorporate a “whimsical sound garden where kids will discover new ways to make wacky noises, as well as enjoy an all-new, elevated clubhouse.”
- Donald’s Duck Pond – This splash area will also allow guests to look inside the boat through the portholes, where they can interact with favorite ducklings Huey, Dewey, Louie, and Webby.
- Chip ‘n’ Dale’s GADGETcoaster – This will be a one-of-a-kind coaster specifically designed for kids.
- Café Daisy – Daisy Duck will serve up diner classics at this sidewalk table eatery.
- Toontown Farmers Market at Good Boy! Grocers – This will be a friendly roadside stand, offering grab-and-go drinks and treats.
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin – This fan-favorite attraction will be returning!
- Mickey & Minnie’s Houses – Guests will once again be able to meet Mickey and Minnie at their homes.
Spring 2023 – Magic Happens Parade
The Magic Happens parade will be making its long-awaited return to Disneyland!
2023 – Adventureland Treehouse
Tarzan’s Treehouse is being reimagined. Set to open in 2023, it will pay “tribute to the original treehouse that Walt Disney and his Imagineers built in 1962 for the hit movie, Swiss Family Robinson.”
2023 – Tiana’s Palace
Tiana’s Palace will be replacing the French Market Restaurant in New Orleans Square later this year. According to Disney, “The new Tiana’s Palace will have much of the same pinch of pizzazz and flair as the restaurant from the film, offering authentic New Orleans flavors inspired by Tiana’s friends and adventures in this quick-service style restaurant.” This new quick-service dining option will offer a menu inspired by current favorites served at this location as well as some New Orleans classics. *French Market Restaurant (and Mint Julep Bar) will close on February 17, 2023, and will reopen as Tiana’s Palace (alongside Mint Julep Bar) later in the year.
Late 2024 – Splash Mountain
It was announced some time ago that this attraction would be reimagined, but it was just announced that this rethemed water flume ride will open in late 2024! Called “Tiana’s Bayou Adventure,” this iconic ride will be welcoming Tiana and her friends for a brand new Princess and the Frog theme. It is unknown when the ride will be closing for the refurbishment, but more details should be announced soon.
Now Open! – Avengers Campus
This is no doubt one of the most ambitious projects coming to the Disneyland Resort in 2021. It was originally planned to be open in the summer of 2020, but with the pandemic, it was delayed. This new area will feature a brand new Spider-Man attraction, meet and greets with your favorite Marvel superheroes, unique shopping experiences, and the Pym Test Kitchen – a new restaurant inspired by the movie Ant-Man. (Be sure to visit the Disney Parks Blog for more information!) The land will also be opening in phases, starting with the Worldwide Engineering Brigade (WEB) and the Pym Test Kitchen.
- WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure – This immersive, interactive attraction is coming to the new land on the opening day of the Avengers Campus. The Marvel story is expanding with WEB, an attraction-based organization founded by none other than Tony Stark. (Fun fact: This will be the first Disney ride to feature Spider-Man!) This attraction will allow you to sling webs in order to help trap Peter Parker’s Spider-Bots. This ride will have no height requirement and will be appropriate for all ages. (Yay!)
- Pym Test Kitchen – Also opening with the Avengers Campus on June 4 is the Pym Test Kitchen. If you’re unfamiliar with how Ant-Man and The Wasp can use subatomic “Pym Particles” to alter their size and mass grow or shrink, you’re in for quite a treat! This quick-service restaurant will feature massive meals, tiny treats, and shareable bites.
- The Sanctum – Here you will have the opportunity to learn from Doctor Strange about an ancient battle that threatened to tear a hole in the fabric of time and reality and how that battle led to the creation of the Orb of Cagliostro. You’ll want to visit at night when the Orb is known to be especially active.
- WEB Suppliers – Here you have the chance to purchase your very own Spider-Bot robot sidekick along with at-home kits to build webs and other accessories. You will also be able to get your hands on Avengers souvenirs at this shop!
- Avengers Headquarters – The iconic Avengers Headquarters building will open when the land opens on June 4, 2021, but rumors indicate that it will eventually house a brand new “E-Ticket” attraction! (This ride will be opening at a later date.)
January 20 thru February 15, 2023 – Lunar New Year Celebration
Taking place at Disney’s California Adventure, this event will pay tribute to Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese cultures with a multicultural celebration. You’ll find Mickey and Minnie in festive attire, Mulan and Mushu, Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession, marketplaces, a nighttime water show (presented prior to World of Color), Chinese calligraphy demonstrations, the Lucky Wishes Wall, treats and festival items, and more!
Late January 2023 – World of Color – One
As part of the 100 Years of Wonder celebration, World of Color is being revamped. The new show will tell the story of the past 100 years of Disney through Disney classics as well as some of the newer Disney favorites.
March 3 thru April 25, 2023 – Disney California Adventure Food and Wine Festival
This event will feature 12 festival marketplaces offering a range of food and beverages. There will also be appearances by Jammin’ Chefs and Chef Goofy, the return of Alice’s Wonderland Bakery Unbirthday Party show, complimentary weekend culinary demonstrations, artist events and signings, a limited-time return of Soarin’ Over California, bookable signature events, and more!
Coming Soon – Avengers Campus Expansion
- A brand new attraction is coming to Avengers Campus! This new ride will feature a multiverse version of Thanos where he is known as “King Thanos.” In this version, fans will be to team up with Avengers to fight him and other villains in a world where Thanos won rather than lost as he did in the Marvel films.
- The Incredible Hulk will also be debuting in his Quantum Suit at Avengers Campus for a limited time beginning mid-September 2022.
Coming Soon – Pacific Wharf Reimagined
The Pacific Wharf area of California Adventure will be reimaged as “San Fransokyo” from the Disney film Big Hero 6. Guests will have the opportunity to meet Baymax, and the area will include new locations to dine and shop.
Beyond the Parks
Downtown Disney District
Work will begin in January 2022 to reimagine Downtown Disney to include an even broader collection of shopping, dining, and entertainment. This means that the AMC Theater, Earl of Sandwich, Sugarboo, and Starbucks West End coffee shop will close and will also be demolished as a result. More than a dozen new and reimagined locations will open, including Porto’s Bakery & Café. More details to come…
The next-generation MagicBand+ wearable technology and “Hey, Disney!” voice assistant will arrive at Disneyland in 2022. (These were previously announced in September 2021 for Walt Disney World!)
These popular races will return to the Disneyland resort in 2024 for the first time since 2017.
This multi-year project with the city of Anaheim, CA includes plans for theme park expansions, new shopping and dining options, and parking.
Pixar Place Hotel
The old Paradise Pier Hotel is being transformed into the Pixar Place Hotel. According to Josh D’Amaro (Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Chairman), “Pixar Place Hotel will be a place where you’ll feel as though you’ve stepped into a Pixar art gallery featuring new interpretations of favorite Pixar pals.”
Be sure to check back regarding new rides and attractions coming to the Disneyland Resort as this page will be updated often!
**Looking to plan your first Disneyland Resort vacation? Be sure to visit my step-by-step guide to get started!