Are you planning on visiting Disneyland in 2022? Looking back at March 2020, I don’t think anyone anticipated that the California theme parks would be closed for over a year. To say the pandemic has not been kind to the original happiest place on earth would be an understatement. Now here we are in 2022, and things are not still completely “normal” yet. But… Disneyland is back, and while things still look a bit different, there is still plenty of magic and excitement.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
**The Disneyland Resort officially reopened to the public on April 30, 2021. This includes both Disney’s California Adventure Park as well as Disneyland Park. Be aware that some experiences listed below have been temporarily suspended or modified due to the pandemic.
**MASK UPDATE: Face coverings are required for unvaccinated Guests (ages 2 and older) in all indoor locations, including throughout indoor attractions and indoor queues. They are also required for all guests, regardless of vaccination status, in certain indoor settings including Disney shuttles and in health settings, such as in First Aid. Face coverings are optional for all guests in outdoor areas.
Updated News on Ticket Purchases and Park Reservations!
Theme park reservations are required to enter both Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure. You will need a theme park admission ticket in order to make a reservation. (So for all guests ages 3 and up, you will need both a park reservation and a valid admission ticket for the same park on the same date.) Much like the park reservation system in place for Walt Disney World, park reservations will be limited and subject to availability.
Keep in mind that staying at one of the three hotels on Disney property does not guarantee you a park reservation. In fact, Disney recommends that you make your park reservation prior to making your hotel reservation.
If you have a Park Hopper ticket, be advised that you will be choosing which theme park to start your day when making your park reservation. Then you will be able to visit the other park beginning at 1 pm. If you have a multi-day ticket, you will need to make a separate park reservation for each day.
What Should I Expect When Visiting Disneyland in 2022?
The Disneyland Resort has reopened gradually since April 30, 2021, and many experiences are still currently modified.
- Parks will operate at a lower capacity. The capacity will most likely increase as restrictions are eased.
- Park hopping will be allowed with a park hopper ticket at 1 pm.
- Guests will need to make park reservations to enter the parks.
- According to Disney, “The State of California strongly recommends that all Guests be fully vaccinated or receive a negative COVID-19 test prior to entering the Disneyland Resort.”
- All unvaccinated guests are required to wear face coverings when indoors, and all guests are required to wear them on Disney shuttles and in health settings.
- Disney MaxPass has been permanently suspended and replaced by Disney Genie+.
- Dining changes include the use of contactless payments. Also, many restaurants (particularly quick-service) offer mobile ordering via Disneyland’s Offical App.
- Character greetings have either been greatly modified or suspended until further notice.
- Parades and nighttime shows are making a comeback with Disneyland Forever, Main Street Electrical Parade, and World of Color returning on April 22, 2022. Fantasmic! will be returning May 28, 2022.
Which Attractions Are Currently Open?
**Keep in mind that some of these attractions may be offering a modified experience.
Here is a list of attractions that are currently open in Disneyland:
- Alice in Wonderland
- Astro Orbitor
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
- Casey Jr. Circus Train
- Chip ‘n Dale Treehouse
- Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes
- Disneyland Railroad
- Disneyland Monorail
- The Disneyland Story presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- Frontierland Shootin’ Exposition
- Gadget’s Go Coaster
- Haunted Mansion
- Indiana Jones™ Adventure
- Jungle Cruise
- King Arthur Carrousel
- Mad Tea Party
- Main Street Cinema
- Main Street Vehicles
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Matterhorn Bobsleds
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Pinocchio’s Daring Journey
- Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin
- Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough
- Snow White’s Enchanted Wish
- Space Mountain
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
- Storybook Land Canal Boats
- Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room
Attractions NOT currently open in Disneyland: Donald’s Boat, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Goofy’s Playhouse, Mickey’s House and Meet Mickey, Minnie’s House, Sailing Ship Columbia, Splash Mountain, Star Wars Launch Bay, Tarzan’s Treehouse™
Here is a list of attractions that are currently open in Disney California Adventure Park:
- Ancient Sanctum
- Animation Academy
- Avengers Headquarters
- Bakery Tour
- Disney Junior Dance Party!
- Games of Pixar Pier
- Golden Zephyr
- Goofy’s Sky School
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!
- Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind
- Jessie’s Critter Carousel
- Jumpin’ Jellyfish
- The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure
- Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters
- Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic
- Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!
- Pixar Pal-A-Round
- Radiator Springs Racers
- Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
- Silly Symphony Swings
- Soarin’ Around the World
- Sorcerers Workshop
- Toy Story Midway Mania!
- Turtle Talk with Crush
- WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure
Attractions NOT currently open in Disney California Adventure Park: Grizzly River Run, Red Car Trolley, Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar
Which Restaurants are Currently Open?
Here is a list of restaurants that are currently open in Disneyland:
- Alien Pizza Planet (mobile order available)
- Bengal Barbecue (mobile order available)
- Blue Bayou Restaurant
- Café Orleans
- Candy Palace and Candy Kitchen
- Carnation Cafe
- Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo (mobile order available)
- Edelweiss Snacks (mobile order available)
- French Market Restaurant (mobile order available)
- Galactic Grill (mobile order available)
- Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor (mobile order available)
- The Golden Horseshoe (mobile order available)
- Harbour Galley (mobile order available)
- Hungry Bear Restaurant (mobile order available)
- Jolly Holiday Bakery Café (mobile order available)
- Kat Saka’s Kettle
- Little Red Wagon (mobile order available)
- Market House
- Maurice’s Treats
- Milk Stand (mobile order available)
- Mint Julep Bar (mobile order available)
- Oga’s Cantina
- Plaza Inn (mobile order available)
- Pooh Cordner (mobile order available)
- Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante
- Red Rose Taverne (mobile order available)
- Refreshment Corner (mobile order available)
- River Belle Terrace
- Ronto Roasters (mobile order available)
- Royal Street Veranda (mobile order available)
- Ship to Shore Marketplace
- Stage Door Café (mobile order available)
- Tiki Juice Bar (mobile order available)
- The Tropical Hideaway
- Tropical Imports
- Troubadour Tavern
- Various vending carts (ice cream, popcorn, churros, beverages, snacks, etc.)
Restaurants NOT currently open in Disneyland: Clarabelle’s, Daisy’s Diner, Pluto’s Dog House
Here is a list of restaurants that are currently open in Disney California Adventure Park:
- Adorable Snowman Frosted Treats (mobile order available)
- Angry Dogs
- Award Wieners (mobile order available)
- Bayside Brews (mobile order available)
- Bing Bong’s Sweet Stuff (mobile order available)
- Cappuccino Cart – Gourmet Coffee (mobile order available)
- Carthay Circle Lounge – Alfresco Dining
- Carthay Circle Restaurant
- Chiller at Paradise Gardens Park
- Clarabelle’s Hand-Scooped Ice Cream (mobile order available)
- Cocina Cucamonga Mexican Grill (mobile order available)
- Corn Dog Castle (mobile order available)
- Cozy Cone Motel (mobile order available)
- Fairfax Market
- Fiddler, Fifer & Practical
- Fillmore’s Taste-In
- Flo’s V-8 Café (mobile order available)
- Ghirardelli Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop
- Hollywood Lounge (mobile order available)
- Jack-Jack Cookie Num Nums
- Lamplight Lounge
- Lamplight Lounge – Boardwalk Dining
- Lucky Fortune Cookery (mobile order available)
- Magic Key Terrace – Magic Key Holder Dining
- Mendocino Terrace
- Mortimers Market
- Pacific Wharf Café (mobile order available)
- Pacific Wharf Distribution Co. (mobile order available)
- Paradise Garden Grill (mobile order available)
- Paradise Gardens Food and Beverage Cart
- Poultry Palace
- Pym Tasting Lab (mobile order available)
- Pym Test Kitchen featuring Impossible® (mobile order available)
- Rita’s Baja Blenders (mobile order available)
- Schmoozies! (mobile order available)
- Señor Buzz Churros
- Shawarma Palace
- Shawarma Palace Too at Hyperion
- Smokejumpers Grill (mobile order available)
- Sonoma Terrace (mobile order available)
- Studio Catering Co. (mobile order available)
- Terran Treats
- Trolley Treats
- Willie’s Churros
- Wine Country Trattoria
- Various vending carts (ice cream, popcorn, churros, beverages, snacks, etc.)
Restaurants NOT currently open in Disney California Adventure Park: none currently
Resort Restaurants Now Open!
As all three Disneyland Resort Hotels are now open to the public, here are all of the currently available dining options:
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
- GCH Craftsman Bar
- GCH Craftsman Grill (mobile order available)
- Hearthstone Lounge (mobile order available)
- Napa Rose
- Storytellers Café (breakfast and dinner, no character dining)
- The Coffee House
- Goofy’s Kitchen
- Tangaroa Terrance Tropical Bar & Grill (mobile order available)
- Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar
Downtown Disney District is currently open!
A phased reopening is currently underway at the Downtown Disney District. There are, however, some things to consider before visiting.
Open Dining Locations
- Ballast Point Brewing Company
- Black Tap Craft Burgers & Shakes
- Catal Restaurant
- Crazy Shake™ Window by Black Tap
- La Brea Bakery Café
- La Brea Bakery Express
- Naples Ristorante e Bar
- Napolini Pizzeria
- Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen
- Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen Express
- Salt & Straw
- Splitsville Luxury Lanes
- Taqueria at Tortilla Jo’s
- Tortilla Jo’s
- Uva Bar & Cafe
- Wetzel’s Pretzels
Keep in mind that many of these dining options are operating with a modified menu, and some are definitely more limited than others! Also, it is highly recommended to make reservations for the table service locations as spots fill up quickly… especially on evenings and weekends. That being said, we strongly recommend downloading the Disneyland Resort App prior to your visit. It will allow you to make reservations, place mobile orders, pay for merchandise, and stay up to date on current offerings and restrictions.
Some news for Annual Passholders…
On January 14, 2021, it was announced that the former Disneyland Annual Pass program had been discontinued. It was said to be due to “the continued uncertainty of the pandemic and limitations around the reopening” of Disneyland Resort theme parks. Many were disappointed, but Disney assured guests that it would be replaced with something new.
Well, the time has come! As of August 25, 2021, Disney began offering a brand new Disneyland Annual Pass Program called Magic Key. According to Disney, “This new Magic Key program provides reservation-based admission to one or both Disneyland Resort theme parks where you’ll make memories visit after visit. There are 4 Magic Key types featuring a variety of admission days, pricing options, experiences, and savings on food & beverages and merchandise. You can select the Magic Key pass that’s of most value to you.”
We will keep you updated as we learn more! Stay tuned…
**Visiting Disneyland in 2022 and need help planning your vacation? Be sure to visit my step-by-step guide to get started!