As one of Disney’s newest (and dare I say most incredible) experiences is Rise of the Resistance at Hollywood Studios. And one of the most sought-after items in all of Walt Disney World is a Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group. You see, this brand-new Star Wars-themed attraction does not have a typical standby line. Due to its massive popularity, you must reserve your place in line using a virtual queue system. Getting a place in line is no small feat. In fact, it is extremely common for the boarding groups to fill up in a matter of seconds.
So how exactly does one get a Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group? And is there anything I can do to help my chances at securing a place in line?
*This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Planning a Disney World vacation in 2023? Be sure to check out our guide to all that the Walt Disney World Resort has to offer this year including the opening of TRON Lightcycle Run Roller Coaster, updated nighttime spectaculars, and more!
**As of September 23, 2021, Disney has “paused” its virtual queue for Rise of the Resistance.
Instead, there will be a traditional standby line for this attraction as well as options utilizing Disney Genie+.
Do I really need a Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group?
Short answer, yes. You do need a Boarding Group. Due to the popularity of the ride, Disney decided to operate it using a virtual queue system. This was in place even before the pandemic hit. Now, Disney has made changes to the system since the initial opening of the ride, but at this point, we have yet to see a normal standby line for this attraction. To put it simply, you cannot ride this attraction unless you put in the effort to get a Boarding Group.
The upside to this system is that once you have a Boarding Group, you can rest easy that you will undoubtedly get to ride it at some point during the day (with the exception of any potential breakdown of the ride!) My family was able to secure our Rise of the Resistance boarding group at 7:00 am, and we were on the ride around 11:00 am later that day. The obvious downside, however, is that if you fail to get a Boarding Group, there is no other way to get on the attraction.
How do I get a Boarding Group?
It’s a fairly straightforward process actually. Boarding Groups currently open up at 7:00 am and 1:00 pm. When the groups open, you will use your My Disney Experience App to book a place in line for you and all the guests linked to your account. Disney allows you to be somewhere “near” the park to book your pass at 7:00 am. This means you can book your Boarding Group outside the park! (Be aware that you must have a park reservation for Hollywood Studios in order to book a Boarding Group.)
On our most recent trip to Walt Disney World, we were able to secure our 7:00 am Rise of the Resistance boarding group from the comfort of our Disney resort. This was a much-welcomed change from needing to be in the park in the wee hours of the morning as it was when the ride first opened! Keep in mind, however, that you do need to be in the park at 1:00 pm to book a Boarding Group at that time.
What makes getting a Boarding Group so difficult, however, is that they are gone in a matter of seconds. Literally. So you must be completely ready at 7:00 am (or 1:00 pm) on the dot in order to secure a group. Log into your account at 7:01 am, and you will be out of luck!
Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of getting a Boarding Group?
Yes! Here are some tricks and trips to help you in securing your Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group:
- Make sure you are logged into your My Disney Experience app 10-15 minutes prior to when the boarding groups open up.
- Check to make sure everyone in your party is attached to your account.
- To speed up my phone as well as my internet connection, I close out all of my apps. I also turned off my wifi and made sure I was in a good spot with all of my bars. (Rumor has it that cellular connection is faster that using the Disney wifi as there will be so many trying to use the Disney wifi all at once to secure their boarding groups!)
- 1-2 minutes before the groups open up, click the button on the main home screen of your app to “join” the boarding group.
- You will see that it’s not time yet to join, but you should begin pulling down on the screen as often as you phsyically can to refresh so you are able to see the blue “join” button the second it is posted. (I was able to every 3-5 seconds.)
- When you seen the blue join button pop up, immediately click on it! There will be one more button on the next screen as well to confirm your party. Hit that button immediately! (This is why it is so important to check your account to make sure everyone in your party is linked up. You don’t want to waste time on that second screen confirming your party!)
- Hopefully at this point, you will see your Boarding Group number as well as an estimated amount of time before your group is called! Enjoy the ride!
Is Rise of the Resistance worth all of this effort?
If you’re a fan of Star Wars, then you will definitely want to try for a Rise of the Resistance boarding group! Even then, you don’t have to be a Star Wars fan to appreciate the level of detail on this attraction. From start to finish, this ride is quite an immersive experience. While Disney rides are known for their storylines, this ride takes it a step further. You become a prisoner of the First Order. The cast members running the ride never break character making the experience unlike any other.
As far as the ride itself, be prepared for a trackless ride as you escape from the clutches of Kylo Ren and the First Order. Also, be aware that there is a small drop near the end of the ride. This ride uses a similar mechanism as the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, but it is a much smaller drop. (My young daughters, 7 and 9-years-old loved the drop!)
**I hope you enjoyed these tips on how to get a Rise of the Resistance boarding group! Looking to plan your first Walt Disney World vacation? Be sure to visit my step-by-step guide to get started!